Alaska is by far the largest U.S. state, accounting for one-fifth of the total size of the lower 48 states. It covers 365,000,000 acres that include many rivers, cool streams and lakes. Minnesota claims to be the “Land of 10,000 Lakes,” but does Alaska have so many? Let’s find out how many lakes there are in Alaska.
What is the largest lake in Alaska?
The largest lake in Alaska is Lake Eliamna. The lake is about 77 miles long and 22 miles wide and covers 1,600 square miles. For reference, Rhode Island – the entire state – is only 1,214 square miles and is 48 miles long and 37 miles wide. Clearly a large lake! It is located in south-central Alaska just north of Katmai National Park and Shelter.
Lake Iliamna is known for its amazing trout and salmon fishing. It is also home to one of only five freshwater seal populations. Freshwater seals are rare and are believed to live in and around Eliam all year round.
Freshwater lakes with seals
Other freshwater seal populations include:
- Lacs des Loups: A lake in northern Ontario near Hudson Bay that hosts seals
- Lake Saimaa: The seat of the Saimaa annular seal, which is believed to number about 400 people
- Lake Lagoda: A lake in northwestern Russia near St. Petersburg that hosts ringed seals.
- Lake Baikal: A lake that hosts the Baikal seal, which has a population of about 100,000 seals
How many lakes are there in Alaska?
There are 3,000,000 lakes in Alaska. According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Hunting, there are 3 million lakes larger than 5 acres. Many of these lakes are extremely remote and can only be reached by boat or air. Alaska most often recognizes the 3,197 lakes that are officially named.
Which lakes are near major cities in Alaska?
Lake Auke is in Juneau and Goose Lake is in Anchorage.
- Lake Auke: Located near Juno Airport, it is a popular 160-acre recreational lake. There is a boat ramp on the lake that gives anglers the opportunity to explore the lake for the best fishing holes. Common fish caught in the lake are rainbow trout and steel trout, as well as pink, tsaboukas, sock salmon and coho salmon.
- Lake Goose: This lake is right in the heart of Anchorage. It is a lake of 192 acres with a paved path of 3 miles around it. There is a small café on the lake and a place to rent rowing boats. Keep your eyes open for some geese and Canadian geese that frequent the lake. Swimming may not be your first thought when it comes to Alaska, but there is a beach for swimming on Lake Goose. The average summer temperatures in Anchorage are 55 ° -78 °, so it might be good for a quick dip.
What are some of the most remote lakes in Alaska?
When you think of remote lakes, you can imagine tiny, inaccessible lakes. But there are two huge lakes in Alaska that are also very remote.
- Lake Teshekpuk: This large lake covers 204,800 acres of water and is the third largest lake in the state. It is not a recreational lake because it is located in the northern tip of Alaska. The Arctic Ocean is only about 12 miles away. The lake and the land around it are part of a protected wildlife area and is recognized by the National Audubon Society. There are about 100,000 geese that make this area their home as well as a large herd of thousands of caribou. You can also find the biggest bears in the world… the polar bear.
- Lake Tustumena: Tustumena is another large remote lake but only a quarter the size of Teshekpuk. At 60,000 acres is a huge lake located in south-central Alaska. It is only 75 miles SE of Anchorage, but there are no access roads to the lake. It is part of the Kenai Fjords National Park, the only way to reach it is by boat across the Kasilof River. It is the site of the Tustumena 200 Dog Sled Race every year which is a 200 mile race. Charcoal, salmon and trout fishing is good on the lake and hunters like the remote area to watch and hunt elk.
What is one of the most unique lakes in Alaska?
One of the most unique lakes in Alaska is Lake Katmai Crater, a lake at the top of a volcano! If you want to see the turquoise waters of Katmai, you can only see it by air. The lake formed after a volcanic eruption in the area in 1912. It is located in southern Alaska opposite Kodiak Island. There are plane tours that will take you to the crater lake for an amazing video.
How many lakes are there in the world?
There are about 117 million lakes in the world. A team of Swedish researchers used satellite imagery to measure the number of lakes in each country. They included all lakes that were larger than 0.002 square kilometers (or about half an acre). 70% of the land is covered by water, but only 3.7% is covered by fresh water.
What is the largest lake in the world?
The largest lake in the world is the Caspian Sea. Technically wouldn’t it be the sea? In fact, the Caspian Sea meets all the criteria to be a lake. It is located right between Europe and Asia. The Caspian Sea is 143,000 square miles.
What is the largest lake in the United States?
The largest lake in the United States is Lake Superior. Lake Superior is one of the five lakes that make up the Great Lakes. It has an area of 31,700 square miles and a volume of 2,900 cubic miles.
What is the largest lake in the United States?
Lake Michigan is the largest fully contained lake in the United States. Lake Michigan is another of the Great Lakes. It is 22,000 square miles.
Are there countries in the world that do not have lakes?
Saudi Arabia has no lakes or rivers! In fact, there are 19 countries in the world that do not have free-flowing rivers.
Fun Fact: How many
Lakes Are Snakes in Alaska?
There are no snakes in Alaska! Snakes are completely absent from the state.